Photography by:Yuki Sugiura
Omelette on fried rice
Making omurice brings back memories of my school days. It was my favourite dish and the first thing I learnt to cook. I was obsessed with it! The typical way of making ‘omurice’ is to wrap the fried rice with the omelette, encasing it completely. It took me so long to master it to perfection: placing the omelette perfectly to wrap the fried rice. To make things a little simpler, I came up with the idea of an open omelette laid on top of the fried rice: the soft-cooked egg melting over the fried rice makes me even more mad about this dish. I hope you love this as much I do
Chicken fried rice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 skinless boneless chicken thigh fillets, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 20 g/⅛ cup fresh garden peas
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 chicken stock cube, finely chopped a pinch of salt and ground white pepper
- 400 g/3 cups cooked white Japanese rice freshly chopped parsley, to garnish
- 4 UK large/US extra-large eggs
- 2 tbsp whole milk pinch of salt and ground white pepper
- 20 g/1 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 4 tbsp red wine
- 4 tbsp chicken stock
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp runny honey
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
Visit my Amazon shop to purchase ingredients
- First, make the sauce. Stir together the tomato ketchup, red wine, chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce in a small saucepan. Place over a medium heat for 2 minutes to let the alcohol from the wine evaporate. Remove the pan from the heat, then add the honey and butter, stirring in until dissolved and smooth. Set aside.
- For the chicken fried rice, put the vegetable oil in a large frying pan/skillet and place over a medium heat. Add the chicken and fry for about 4 minutes, stirring and turning, until brown on all sides. Add the onion, carrot and peas and fry for 3 more minutes. Add the tomato ketchup, chicken stock cube and salt and ground white pepper. Add the cooked rice and stir-fry until all the seasonings have been distributed evenly.
- Divide the chicken fried rice between serving plates. Cover each portion of rice with clingfilm/plastic wrap (to prevent it from going cold and drying out while you cook the omelettes) and shape each one into a neat oval mound using your hands. To make the omelettes, break the eggs into a mixing bowl. Add the milk and salt and pepper. Whisk together until all the ingredients are evenly combined.
- Heat 10 g/2 teaspoons of the butter in a small omelette pan or frying pan/skillet over a medium heat. Pour in half of the egg mixture, tilting the pan to evenly coat the bottom. Immediately stir the egg mixture with chopsticks or a wooden spoon before it is cooked, this will ensure the even cooking of the omelette. Just before the egg mixture is completely set, remove the clingfilm/plastic wrap from one portion of rice and cover the rice with the omelette. Repeat the process for the remaining egg mixture and serving of rice. Pour the sauce on top of the omurice to serve and sprinkle with fresh parsley to garnish.
If you use this recipe tag @atsukoskitchen and use the ashtag #atsukoskitchen so we can take a look!